The Brother drum unit is a separate consumable that typically should be replaced after the use of 3 or 4 toner cartridges. If you own any of the Brother laser printers listed below and you are getting a “Replace Drum” message on your machine’s display, it might be time to get a new drum. Your printer uses a page counter to track usage, which must manually be reset every time a new drum unit is installed. Instructions for both steps are included below!
Compatible Brother laser printers:
Brother HL‑L5000D / HL‑L5100DN / HL‑L5200DW / HL‑L5200DWT / HL‑L6200DW / HL‑L6200DWT
Replacing the DR-820 Drum Unit
- Turn on the printer and open the front cover.
- Remove the toner cartridge and drum unit from the printer.
- Release the toner cartridge from the drum assembly by pushing down on the green lock lever on the left side of the unit.
- Unbox the new drum unit.
- Slide the toner into the new drum assembly so it clicks into place.
- Install the complete unit back into the printer and close up the front cover.
Resetting the DR-820 Drum Counter
- Open the front cover of the machine.
- Press and hold “OK” to display the [Drum Unit] option and press “OK.”
- Press the up arrow and select [Reset] to reset the counter.
Once both steps are completed, you can start printing again!